Access Management Controls
Probability of Identity Verification
To demonstrate how a probability calculation might work, lets use an example of three approaches to restricting access to a patient care database, as shown in Figure 11-1. Bella uses only password authentication, Olivia uses fingerprint recognition biometrics only, and Alex uses both a password and fingerprint recognition.
Because of the general environment and business culture restrictions at Bella’s workplace, security administrators do not require use of strong passwords. Consequently, we determine the probability that an unauthorized individual can access patient information as 30 percent (P = .30). You might rate this differently. However, the process for determining the relative effect of MFA is the same.
In Olivia’s workplace, the security director convinced management that biometrics by itself was strong enough to replace passwords and provide strong-enough identity verification. As we will see in Chapter 12, biometrics is not an identity panacea; it has its own set of challenges. In this case, management requires a low false rejection rate to reduce employee frustration. This results in a probability of 20 percent (P = .20) that someone could masquerade as Olivia and use her login account.
Alex’s security director decided to take a middle path. The director believes strong passwords cause more problems than they prevent: a view supported by business management. He also believes that lowering biometrics false rejection rates is necessary to maintain employee acceptance and maintain productivity levels. Instead of using only one less than optimum authentication factor, he decided to layer two: passwords (something Alex has) and biometrics (something Alex is).
You might also like
The manual is a little ambiguous, butby navel
Page 5 defines
"Web Remote Access
The Web Remote Access enhanced service allows you to access your home computer files from remote
locations using any standard Web browser. Web Remote Access authenticates and encrypts access
between the Web browser and the 2Wire gateway, enabling you to securely access and download important
files or manage other enhanced services such as Parental Controls or Firewall Monitor.
You can optionally define a unique Web Domain Name during setup (for example, http://
myname.accessmyhome.net), making it easy for users that are allowed to access the home network to
manage the gateway when away from the home
Just in case you don't get it, here's the first pieceby Bagheera
2065 Lombard Street, San Francisco, CA 94133
(415) xxx xxxx / Orion@3dayweb.com
Program and Client Relationship Management experience serving Fortune 500 and Federal government clients in electronics distribution, contract manufacturing, recruitment and defense industries.
Lots of optionsby BelmontBill
1. If you start out with the RIGHT systems and controls SOX can be an enhancement to your business as an investment vehicle. It can be challenging, but not if you start with SOX in mind.
2. Private Equity has always been around, it is expensive to the business and risky for the investment dollars. I have a fairly strong VC background, private equity is a tough game for everyone involved.
3. Many companies are trying to go private, only to re-list with a large "pop" in a 18-60 month time frame creating a MASSIVE windfall for the LBO groups and management. It is appalling there are not more shareholder suits to stop the trend, the MOST unlocked value is being taken private, taking the upside from the average shareholder
High level Part 3by Career-Hunter
....and established controls to prevent recurrence.
* Transformed cost center into moneymaking profit center to save $1.4M in first two years. College campus was using outside contractors for adds, moves and changes of voice terminals. Determined which functions could be done internally. Established financial systems and controls. Within two years, successfully outbid major competitors on major new construction projects.
MANAGER FINANCIAL ANALYSIS AND PLANNING, Fortune100 LeasingSubsidiary, Inc., 1987 to 1988. Recruited from Chicago to head financial planning as assistant treasurer for this equipment-financing subsidiary of US West, Inc
Identity and Access Management: Business Performance Through Connected Intelligence
VA releases internal audit summary of scheduling practices — FedScoop
FedScoop reported earlier this week that VA has known for more than a year of serious weaknesses in VistA's identity and access management controls, as well as the scheduling module's overall integration into the enterprise electronic health record system.
Database Systems: Design, Implementation, and Management (with Premium WebSite Printed Access Card and Essential Textbook Resources Printed Access Card)
Book (Cengage Learning)